Yeezus. Magna Carta… Holy Grail. Summer radio has been dominated by crazy massive statements about the state of hip hop. Hashtag New Rules, yo: it’s not about the music, anymore. It’s about marketing; the no-strategy-strategy of Kanye, the sponsorship politics of Jay.
It’s about more than that, too. This is bigger than the boardroom. And isn’t the Wild, Wild West. It’s somewhere more familiar: the streets. What we’re seeing is the rebirth of the mixtape: letting people listen and participate is as important as getting people to pay.
So, mixtape culture is alive. The question becomes: how does it evolve? How do you grow the streets? What if a party tape isn’t a .zip of tracks, but instead, videos, catalogs, and art? What’s a mixtape, if more than an audio object?
Download the Jet Life Bundle, and unlock the mixtape 2.0.
This is how music should work. You can sample content instantly: a free first listen to Curren$y X Roddy on “Right Now”. You can get tickets from upcoming shows from inside the file. And if you want to kick in your email, you can unlock the full Red Eye collection: 13 new tracks from Curren$y, Young Roddy, Cornerboy P, Fiend, and Monstabeatz, the Chef Menteur doc (shot, edited and directed by CJ Wallis), a ticket for free merchandise at any Jet Life show, and the chance to win the Ultimate Jet Life Experience.
One BitTorrent fan will win a trip to New Orleans to meet the Jet Life crew, and the full line of Jet Life Apparel. One fan will win the full apparel line. And one will win rolling trays, lighters, papers, and more. Just for listening. In the words of Austin Briggs, Jet Life’s digital marketing strategist:
This is a mixtape built for the Internet: multimedia storytelling made free, for over 170 million fans around the world. It’s not just free music, but an all-access pass to one of the best crews in hip hop. We want our fans to have the opportunity to interact with with Jet Life on all levels; allow them to become a part of the Jet Life brand and movement: concerts, merchandise, contests, music and video – the full experience.
1. Red Eye Tour Poster [Interactive Art]
2. Curren$y X Young Roddy: “Right Now”, prod. by Sledgren [Audio]
1. Fiend: “California Mornings”, prod. by Thelonius Martin [Audio]
2. Curren$y X Young Roddy: “Grizzly”, prod. by Ajay Beats [Audio]
3. Cornerboy P : “Winners Never Lose”, prod. by Bizness Boy [Audio]
4. Curren$y: “Showroom 2”, prod. by Cardo [Audio]
5. Young Roddy: “I Kno What I’m Doin”, prod. by Monstabeatz” [Audio]
6. Fiend X Curren$y X Casso: “Role Model” [Audio]
7. Deelow Diamond Man X Cornerboy P: “She Got It Too” [Audio]
8. Deelow Diamond Man: “Bando”, prod. by Monstabeatz [Audio]
9. Fiend X Juvenile: “On My Job”, prod. by RJ2 [Audio]
10. Fiend X Cornerboy P: “Crawfish”, prod. by Thelonius Martin [Audio]
11. Curren$y: “I Can’t Stop”, prod. by Sledgren [Audio]
12. Mary Gold X Curren$y: “Prayer” [Audio]
13. Red Eye Mixtape Cover [Art]
14. Chef Menteur, shot, edited and directed by CJ Wallis [Video]
15. Ticket to enter to win the Ultimate Jet Life Experience [Interactive Art]
16. Coupon for merchandise at Jet Life shows [JPG]
About BitTorrent Bundle
The BitTorrent Bundle is an Alpha project, made with and for the web’s creative community. Our mission is to help artists connect directly with fans, inside the content they share.
Each BitTorrent Bundle, like the one created in partnership with Jet Life, allows artists to distribute content to 170 million BitTorrent users. And each Bundle comes with a key. Fans can unlock artist content with an email address, or a donation. The idea is to make each song a storefront; and each file more valuable, each time it’s shared. Got ideas for the next BitTorrent Bundle? Hit us up.